39 plus vat

So very VERY boring, married (need rescuing by knight in shining armour with huge bank balance and tricky ticker) old woman with 2 kids (Theo aged 16 and Ysabella aged 13) and a barking mad, very OLD, husband - no improvement there. Collection of cats, dead gerbils and absolutely no goldfish whatsoever. Ask me anything else you want to know, and I might tell you.

Monday, July 19, 2004

Sign of our times

I was out with Mad Jane, on Saturday night, in the small market town where she lives. This is supposedly a nice area to live in. There are a fair number of pubs and bars in the town and it is known for a lively night out.

We bumped into some friends we hadn't seen for a few weeks with the usual, ' Hi, haven't seen you for ages, where have you been?' but the last answer we were expecting was 'In hospital'.

Turns out that a few weeks back these 4 nice young men had been walking past the pub we were stood in (which is one of the busiest in town) and they had been attacked from behind. Three were already down in various states of consciousness and the fourth turned to look behind him.

He turned at the wrong time, and whatever was aiming for the back of his head hit him full in the face so hard that his skull snapped between his eyes and his nose was forced 1" into his skull.

The attackers ran off leaving two with minor injuries, one in a pool of blood choking on his tongue and the poor man with the displaced nose. The two with the worst injuries were told that they were lucky to be alive.

The incident was witnessed by a pub full of people. The knew who at least one of the attackers was, apparently well known for this sort of unprovoked attack. No-one will make a statement. No-one will stand as a witness. They either don't want to get involved or are too afraid of repercussions from this notorious local family.

I know similar incidents are happening all over, and, common with many people, I think 'How awful' but because its 100 miles away and I don't know the people involved it doesn't affect me too much. But now its happened to people I know in a place I visit regularly and the reality has slapped me in the face.

I would like to think that I would be willing to stand up and speak out if I were to witness something similar, but then its a small town, and I have two young children ...........

|

2 Comments:

At 3:18 pm, Blogger zoe said...

that's a tough call, but i'd like to say that i'd stand up and be a witness ... maybe others would follow suit. but then, if they didn't - well, ouch.

 
At 3:32 pm, Blogger kissme said...

its nice your visiting my blog, one day I might think of something chirpy or witty to say.

Roll on 2027.......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home