39 plus vat

So very VERY boring, married (need rescuing by knight in shining armour with huge bank balance and tricky ticker) old woman with 2 kids (Theo aged 16 and Ysabella aged 13) and a barking mad, very OLD, husband - no improvement there. Collection of cats, dead gerbils and absolutely no goldfish whatsoever. Ask me anything else you want to know, and I might tell you.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Moaning old bag

I don't work on Wednesday usually, and I wasn't working yesterday. Jonathan and I try to do the 'quality time' thing (after my sleep-in and before the kids are back from school,) and we often go out for lunch.

Anyway, yesterday I dragged him to look at fireplaces and we ended up going to this bar called Cellar V (groan) which promised excellent 'cuisine'.

Jonathan ordered a toasted bacon and brie club sandwich and I ordered a chicken caesar salad. The service was pretty fast, and the waitress wasn't unpleasant (she wasn't exactly pleasant either).

When the food arrived, Jonathan's sandwich looked rather nice, and he really enjoyed it. My salad looked rather nice too, however it looked nothing like a caesar salad. It tasted nothing like a caesar salad either. I did point this out to the waitress (nicely) and she said it was definitely a caesar salad and 'very popular' too.

The salad had a few salad leaves - none of them coming from a cos/romaine lettuce. It had a lot of grated carrot (yuk) and celery (double yuk). It had a fair amount of chopped red and green peppers. It had slices of cucumber and tomato. It had cooked cherry tomatoes and fried onions (I was really confused at this point) and the hot chicken was smothered in herbs and almost a layer of gravy. Oh, and there was no caesar dressing on either. However it did have 4 thin slices of rock hard french bread which I think were the croutons.

What I wanted was lots of fresh, crispy cos/romaine lettuce, a fair portion of parmesan cheese, a couple of anchovy fillets, some plain (preferrably cold) chicken and caesar salad dressing. Something fresh and crispy and light and delicious.

If the salad I got had been advertised as a hot chicken salad, and I had decided that was what I fancied, then I probably would have been quite happy with it (apart from the celery and carrots obviously)

I thought a 'caesar salad' was one of those universal dishes where you know what to expect. I thought I was on safe ground. It's one of my favourite meals (usually).

Now I am going to feel obliged to double check and ask what is in the 'caesar salad' next time I want to order one and then some miserable waitress will look down her nose as though I'm stupid and have never heard of one before.

It really upset my equilibrium.

|

4 Comments:

At 11:32 pm, Blogger Elspeth said...

That def dont sound like a caesar salad to me, and im with you on the celery *shudder* even the smell makes me ill!

 
At 9:12 am, Blogger Tony B said...

What the feck is a caesar salad? ;-)

 
At 2:41 pm, Blogger steve said...

I hate bad sevice, the other day we went to argos, we got our number and waited, waited,it must be buried I said,suddenly bingo our number at the top.we went to our spot,waited,waited finaly we saw our things being put down on the shelf,now at this point we have stood there 5 min's and I am 6 feet 2" and partner is 5 feet 9" we take up quite a bit of the till,a new customer comes up and sales attempt to serve them staight away,erm excuse me I bellowed we have been here 5 min's and our stuff is right there under your nose are we invisible. she gave "me" a dirty look if I hadn't had been feeling so ill I would have had the manager out but then again she probably was the manager

 
At 10:25 pm, Blogger kissme said...

Oh I simply love the service in Argos. Their incompetence beggars belief.

On the plus side I once came out with a foot spa priced at £10 more than the one I had actually paid for plus a 'free' pair of (hideous) gold earrings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home