39 plus vat

So very VERY boring, married (need rescuing by knight in shining armour with huge bank balance and tricky ticker) old woman with 2 kids (Theo aged 16 and Ysabella aged 13) and a barking mad, very OLD, husband - no improvement there. Collection of cats, dead gerbils and absolutely no goldfish whatsoever. Ask me anything else you want to know, and I might tell you.

Thursday, September 09, 2004

I just blew in from the windy city

.....except it wasn't Chicago.

I must say I never thought I'd experience a hurricane, and now I have, well, it just wasn't what I was expecting at all. It wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. (Sincere apologies to anyone who has suffered in a
hurricane)

In the middle of it I let my kids go swimming in the pool, it was raining, admittedly, but then they were going to get wet anyway. There was no lightening, there was no debris flying around and I watched them all the time. Even stood at the side of the pool my hair wasn't even getting a little bit tousled from the wind. It was very weird.

The wind didn't seem to reach the ground so we could stand around smoking (even ligthing our fags outside) without the wind in our hair whilst watching a palm tree in next door's garden bend double.

I blame the movies. I was expecting something akin to 'Twister' without the spiralling funnel of wind, and it simply wasn't like that at all. The destruction wasn't as much as I expected either, but then as
HurricaneFrances followed hot on the heels of Charley I think all the roofs that were going to blow off and all the trees that were going to be up-rooted happened during Charley.

When the power resumed (after 36 hours, and I know we were extremely lucky to get it back so quickly, many thanks KUA!) the news on TV that we were then on Tornado Warning just ended up making me laugh cos it was all so surreal.

Anyway, we're back, safe and sound and I hope anyone facing Ivan has the same experience we had, which boiled down to being stuck in the house and a bit bored in the dark, and that is better than death and destruction.

Watch out for lots of boring news from my holidays to follow ...........

|

4 Comments:

At 8:03 pm, Blogger zoe said...

welcome back sweetie - i expect the postcard is in the post ?

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger kissme said...

Postcard? I can't remember the last time I sent one of those

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger Sister Sunshine said...

Sorry you had to have the inconveniences of a hurricane on your vacation! You got lucky though... in some areas it was MUCH worse.

 
At 8:23 pm, Blogger Ruth said...

Believe me, you have not experienced a hurricane. What you suffered was the mere sideswipe of an edge of the Beast that is a hurricane or cyclone, as they are called in the southern hemisphere. Any survivors of Cyclone Tracey (Darwin, Australia, 1974) out there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home