39 plus vat

So very VERY boring, married (need rescuing by knight in shining armour with huge bank balance and tricky ticker) old woman with 2 kids (Theo aged 16 and Ysabella aged 13) and a barking mad, very OLD, husband - no improvement there. Collection of cats, dead gerbils and absolutely no goldfish whatsoever. Ask me anything else you want to know, and I might tell you.

Monday, September 13, 2004

Controversial decision

This weekend I made a controversial decision. I decided to let my 12 year old son smoke at home. There are many reasons I have done this, here are a few.

1) We knew he was smoking, but he was telling us he wasn't, although he knew we knew. I would prefer to remove this necessity for him to lie to us.

2) He was spending every possible minute hanging around the park with some decidedly dodgy characters, so that he could smoke. I don't want him to spend every spare minute like this and I really wanted to get him away from the majority of these kids.

3) He was asking strangers outside the local shop to buy cigarettes for him. I don't think this is fair to these strangers, and it could also provide any passing paedophile with an opportunity to lure him away with the promise of fags.

4) He had stolen cigarettes from us in the past. I want to know what he is smoking and that he is paying for his own.

4) He was getting bad-tempered and agressive with us all when he was getting agitated about getting out of the house for a fag.

5) We live in a small village where everyone knows everyone else's business. This is between him and us, and sod all to do with the local busybodies.

6) I didn't want him smoking in front of younger kids who might see it as a cool thing to be doing.

7) I didn't want him smoking in front of older kids who might bully him into giving them cigarettes.

8) I don't want him hanging around with the park smoking club when they decided tobacco is not quite giving them enough, and maybe they should try something else..........

There are some other reasons too, but those are the main ones. I have told him I do NOT approve of him smoking, and I think he is foolish to have started because it is so bad for your health - and you bank balance. I have told him my reasons for letting him smoke at home.

The rules I have laid down are fairy simple. If his sister is about he smokes in the garden or garage, out of sight. He keeps his cigarettes and lighter in the house. His friends are NOT allowed to smoke at our house. He only asks his dad or I to get cigarettes for him - and he gives us the money.

I'm still torn up inside about the whole thing. I really, really, really don't want him to smoke, but he does, and because of that I want to try to keep some control over it.

Yesterday he was the most pleasant and helpful he has been for months. He was at home most of the day. He was nice to his sister. He apologised for lying and being deceitful about the whole smoking thing.

I want my kids to feel they can come to us about anything. I know they will make some choices that we will most certainly not approve of. And before you say anything I know that at 12 he is still a child and can't be trusted to make sensible decisions. But I truly can't think of anything to stop him smoking. Grounding him, stopping his allowance etc etc has not worked, and I want to be able to keep an eye on him cos he's still my baby and I love him.

|

4 Comments:

At 10:54 pm, Blogger Jules said...

What a terribly difficult decision you had to make. I fully understand your reasoning and I would probably do the same. The dilemma of keeping your child safe and keeping him healthy is is not enviable. And what does a twelve year old know?? They think they are immortal, don't they? Cigarettes are so hard to quit.

I was a nicotine junky from the age of 15. I quit 6 years ago (I am 37 now)and I am sure he will come to his senses too some day.

 
At 11:13 am, Blogger zoe said...

i think that it's a wise choice myself and he'll soon realise that while all his friends are investing in mopeds etc in the future, his savings will have been eaten up by buying cigarettes.

he'll stop.

 
At 11:39 am, Blogger kissme said...

God I hope so. What I would really like to do is force him to smoke the most disgusting cigar imaginable, slap him around until he gets some sense and then chop his fingers off so he can't light up.

And if I really thought that would do any good I would be willing to give it a try.

Kids - who'd have 'em.

 
At 11:44 am, Blogger Tilly said...

Woah! Hard decision... I hope that it works out the way you want. Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home